https://rolandparkplace.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/modifyworkoutroutineRPP-min.jpg 1333 1999 Roland Park Place https://rolandparkplace.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/logo-2021.png Roland Park Place2022-10-19 16:32:362022-10-20 16:18:59How To Modify Your Workout Routine As You Age
How To Modify Your Workout Routine As You Age
According to the CDC, approximately 28 percent of Americans over 50 are not physically active. That’s 31 million people! If you’re one of those people (and even if you’re not), you may wonder how you can start working out or modify your workouts. Since one of the biggest hurdles to working out as we get older is the new limitations of our bodies, here are some ways to adapt your exercise routine to your new (and still amazing) body.
Is Exercise Important As We Age?Absolutely! It can help maintain and improve muscle strength, balance, and flexibility. It can also help prevent chronic health issues like heart disease and diabetes. And, it feels good! Group exercise classes are good for accountability and offer the bonus of making new friends who have similar interests.
Why Working Out Is Important As We MatureRegular Exercise Can Help You Lose or Maintain Weight It’s no secret that it can be harder to keep off extra weight as we age. But exercise can help with weight loss and maintenance by burning calories and building muscle mass. Regular Exercise Can Increase Mobility, Flexibility, and Balance Regular exercise helps maintain muscle strength, making everyday tasks like climbing stairs or carrying groceries easier. Falls are a common concern for older adults, but exercise can help decrease your risk of falling by improving strength and balance – and help you catch yourself if you do stumble. But It’s Important Not To Over-Exercise It’s important to note that exercise is essential, but you shouldn’t push yourself to the point of exhaustion or injury. Always listen to your body and take breaks when needed. And don’t forget the warm-up and cool-down stretches! Taking time to stretch properly before and after your workout can help prevent injury.
How To Maintain Your Fitness Now And LaterHere are some tips for maintaining your fitness:
- Stay active throughout the day. Take a walk in the morning, park farther away from stores, and take the stairs instead of the elevator. It all adds up!
- Incorporate resistance training into your exercise routine. Resistance training can help maintain muscle mass and strength as you age.
- Make exercising daily a part of your routine. It will become a habit and get easier.
- Try something new, like pickleball or dance. Keep workouts fun!
- Always hydrate during exercise. Water is essential for healthy bodies.
- Most notably, listen to your body and don’t push yourself too hard. You know yourself best, so trust your instincts and take breaks when necessary.